Sunday, February 17, 2013

Are you echinoCEREUS?

     My Echinocereus Viridiflorus are all splitting their heads, growing new heads, etc. This is a very cold hardy species, native to the central United States; up through Colorado down into northern Mexico. I have a ton of them grafted, in hopes to degraft, root, and plant them outside eventually and finally be able to have some outdoor cactus year round. Anyway, here are some pictures of what I'm talking about
     It's kind of hard to tell, but there are 3 (possibly 4) heads coming out of 1 in the top picture. You can tell exactly whats going on in the bottom picture; 5 heads and counting. I'll have to look into this. It isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, but its a little odd. I have even noticed some of my other grafts forming new heads near their base recently as well, but not to this extent..Time will tell if this is species-specific.

1 comment: